Kerry manager Peter Keane has drafted in experienced half forward Stephen O’Brien for this Sunday’s do-or-die Munster Senior Football Championship semi-final against Cork.
O’Brien, who did not travel to Monaghan for the penultimate round of the Allianz National League and was a second-half substitute in the side’s recent match against Donegal, comes in at the expense of Micheál Burns in Kerry’s only change from that title-clinching victory a fortnight ago.
Keane will be hoping that the Kenmare Shamrocks man can put in another big performance against Cork; O’Brien was Man of the Match when the sides last met, in the Munster final in June of last year.
On the other wing, Listry’s Ronan Buckley is set to make his championship debut after suitably impressing the management team throughout the final part of Kerry’s post-lockdown league campaign.
Meanwhile, Tony Brosnan of Dr Crokes will make his second senior championship appearance in the green and gold, over four years after making his first. Brosnan will line out in the full forward line alongside team captain David Clifford, with No.15 Dara Moynihan likely to do most of his work further out the pitch.
As has become customary for this Kerry set-up, the substitutes will be named on the day of the game.
Kerry team to play Cork:
- Shane Ryan (Rathmore)
- Jason Foley (Ballydonoghue)
- Tadhg Morley (Templenoe)
- Tom O’Sullivan (Dingle)
- Paul Murphy (Rathmore)
- Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
- Gavin White (Dr Crokes)
- David Moran (Kerins’ O’Rahilly’s)
- Diarmuid O’Connor (Na Gaeil)
- Stephen O’Brien (Kenmare Shamrocks)
- Seán O’Shea (Kenmare Shamrocks)
- Ronan Buckley (Listry)
- Tony Brosnan (Dr Crokes)
- David Clifford (Fossa – Captain)
- Dara Moynihan (Spa)
Cork revealed their team last night (Thursday) and bainisteoir Ronan McCarthy will hand starts to three debutants, namely full back Maurice Shanley, centre back Seán Meehan, and centre forward Colm O’Callaghan.
Mark Keane, the Mitchelstown native who has been playing AFL for Melbourne side Collingwood, is named on the bench.
Cork team to play Kerry:
- Micheál Martin (Nemo Rangers)
- Sean Powter (Douglas)
- Maurice Shanley (Clonakilty)
- Kevin Flahive (Douglas)
- Kevin O’Donovan (Nemo Rangers)
- Sean Meehan (Kiskeam)
- Mattie Taylor (Mallow)
- Ian Maguire (St Finbarr’s – Captain)
- Killian O’Hanlon (Kilshannig)
- John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
- Colm O’Callaghan (Eire Óg)
- Ruairi Deane (Bantry Blues)
- Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
- Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)
- Luke Connolly (Nemo Rangers)
- Anthony Casey (Kiskeam)
- Sam Ryan (St Finbarrs)
- Paul Ring (Aghabullogue)
- Michael Hurley (Castlehaven)
- Tadhg Corkery (Cill na Martra)
- Paul Walsh (Kanturk)
- Kevin O’Driscoll (Tadhg MacCarthaigh)
- Sean White (Clonakilty)
- Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
- Mark Keane (Mitchelstown)
- Damien Gore (Kilmacabea)