DEVASTATED: John ‘Lyno’ Lyne and his daughter Claire Lyne whose dog Fletcher died in the early hours of Sunday morning are warning dog owners to be careful. Photo: Michelle Crean

 

“We are just devastated”

By Michelle Crean

A Killarney father and daughter who are this week trying to come to terms with the sudden and devastating death of their beloved pet – are warning owners not to leave their dogs off the lead.

John ‘Lyno’ Lyne and his daughter Claire Lyne from Killarney town say they are still traumatised as they watched their beloved Westie Fletcher suffer severe and debilitating seizures hours after a walk in the National Park on Saturday, despite intensive treatment from their local vet.

They believe Fletcher died of suspected blue green algae poisoning after the happy-go-lucky and energetic dog licked stagnant water in the park – which can prove fatal to animals due to the bacteria present following a spell of dry weather.

“We were walking down the top of New Road and I left him off the lead on Saturday,” Lyno told the Killarney Advertiser.

“We came down to the entrance straight across from the cathedral and he licked something.”

However, they said after they got home and settled down to watch the Champions League match Fletcher started to get violently sick.

“I was lying down rubbing him as he was shaking then he started walking around on three legs,” Claire explained to the Killarney Advertiser.

“He came back and then started having full blown seizures and had blood coming from his mouth because he was biting his tongue so much.”

Claire and her father rushed Fletcher to the All Care Vet’s surgery on Park Road but as they waited for Vet Danny O’Sullivan to arrive, they had no choice but to put Fletcher into the boot for his own safety.

“We had to put Fletch in the boot as he was having so many seizures. When the vet came, he put Fletcher on a drip but said that there was a 75 percent chance he could die. Then we got a call at 4am that he had passed away.”

Now, Claire and her father want to warn others about the dangers of blue/green algae poisoning.

“We’re devastated. The house just feels empty,” Lyno said.

“He was the most beautiful dog and we just want to warn others not to leave their dog off the lead. Warning signs should be put up.”

Danny O’Sullivan added that it’s definitely poisoning of some kind and not a clinical disease as it came on the dog so suddenly.

“It’s by no means the first time we’ve seen it and extremely unlikely to be other poisoning as it has different symptoms,” Danny said.

“My advice would be to keep dogs on a lead.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com